Monday, March 31, 2014

It's funny that the older you get the more you realize what really are the important things in life. Your parents always told you not to be materialistic and to never judge someone from the outside.

I grew up knowing that I was NOT going to get everything I wanted just because I wanted it. Don't get me wrong though, my parents were amazing and we were so lucky to have as much stuff as we did, but they always made sure we worked for the what we wanted and appreciated everything. My parents wanted us to know what was really important in life. Our family and health was everything. My mom was big on not falling into the latest trends and made sure we wouldn't either. Sometimes, especially in early high school, I would forget. I forget what my mom had always stressed to us. I would come home and really want to spend my last paycheck on a shopping spree at Abercrombie or PacSun. She'd take me to the store and let me look around, she'd explain that I could waist $100 on a pair of ripped jeans or I could put that money to the side and save it for something bigger down the road. I always chose to save it.

I love that my parents were like that. They gave us the freedom to make our own decisions and learn from our mistakes. I love that they were strict and kept me away from drugs and the bad crowd. I really pray that Loren and I will be the same with our kids.

Anyway, lately I've been doing a bit of "soul searching", if you will. I seemed to have lost myself for a little bit. I went off the deep end and started stressing about how small our house is, my wardrobe (or lack there of), I started stressing about redoing the bathrooms and I was even freaking out about Allie's damn Easter basket and how much it was going to cost in order to put everything in there that I wanted. I was stressing about the unimportant materialistic things. The things that my parents always taught me not to worry about.

Who cares what size my house is or if I have the latest shower curtain? If my little 980 sq ft condo isn't big enough for you, then I don't want you here. I love my house. I love how cozy it is, I love that we are always close together and I especially love that it takes me an hour to clean the whole place. Can you say that about your 2500 sq ft house? Now don't get me wrong, I would like to eventually have a bigger house, but it's not something that needs to be done right now or even a year from now. I want to be picky about my next house and I want it to be the home that we are going to stay in for many many years.

I think everyone needs to just calm down about the latest and greatest gadgets. Take the time and spend it with your family. That's what's important.


I'm not sure why I went on this rant. I'm sometimes surround by people who can poison your mind with nonsense if you let them. The people who think you're poor because you don't have a giant house filled with useless nick knacks and decorations. I really let them get to me this time. I just need to keep reminding myself that I'm only going to live once and I don't want to live it stressing about pointless stuff. I want to live my one life loving my family, being an awesome wife and momma, having a blast and building a relationship with God. Besides, I would hope that when I die, people aren't going to remember me by my bathroom faucet or expensive pair of jeans. I hope they remember me by how much I loved and cherished my family.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...