Tuesday, September 16, 2014

I'm happy that I can finally say that we're ready for these babies (well, the house that is...I don't think we'll ever be mentally ready.). For the past month or so I've been nesting like crazy and have been tearing this house apart trying to get it organized and cleaned out. I literally went through everything we own and donated/threw away a ton of stuff. I didn't even want to mess with selling anything, I just wanted it out! Now that I'm done, It feels great to have all the unused things out and for all the stuff we actually need in the house to have it's own little space.

I'm regretting one thing though. I should have take before pictures. Everything looks so much better than it did before.

I went through all of our clothes and got rid of what we didn't wear anymore. I then took down all of the boxes that were in our closet and went through every last one. I had boxes of junk that I obviously hadn't gone through in years. I even found bank statements from 2006.


We still have lots of stuff in our closet, but it looks a million times better than it did before. You can actually walk in it now!

After our room and bathroom, I moved on to the kitchen cabinets and pantry. I pulled everything out, got rid of old food, old appliances, and all the random miss matched stuff that we never use (like all the cups and food organizers from the sub boxes). I put everything back in it's new home and even had an empty cabinet which I designated to be the baby cabinet.


I had enough room in there to put all the formula we have but after we use the stockpile, I'll use the cabinet for bottles and any other baby items that take up valuable counter space.

I also made a spot for all of Allie's dishes...


It's amazing how much room you can create when you simply get rid of the stuff you don't use.

On to the kids' bathroom.

We had a TON of towels, hand towels and wash cloths that just sat collecting dust in the back of the closet. I got rid of enough to make room for the baby blankets and Allie's linens that we just shoved in her closet.


I got a new door hanger to hang all of Allie's hooded towels and robes on the back of the door.


By doing that, it freed up a ton of space in the cabinet under the sink. I decided to make that the cabinet for all the baby's bath items and first aid stuff.


I put all the twins towels on the top and all the soaps and lotions had a nice spot in the middle.


One drawer is for all the wash cloths and the other I used for all the random travel sized soaps, oils, and lotions, also all the kids first aid stuff.

And now for the fun stuff. Allie's room/closet and the living room.

These two rooms took the longest, but I am so happy with how it turned out. It makes me a little less nervous about fitting two more people into our little home.

I figured for the first couple of months the twins and I will be living in the living room, just like Allie and I did. It was just easier for everyone that way. With that being said, I didn't really do much to Allie's room. I left all her furniture the way it was because it wasn't like we needed to fit two more beds in there right away. Her closet was a different story though.

I took EVERYTHING out of the closet and basically started over. Allie has plenty of room everywhere else for all her stuff so I decided to have the closet be just for the twins stuff and some random little things like my photo boxes and some toys.


I got the new plastic drawers from Walmart for about $20 each. I had to buy 4 and each one has 3 drawers. It was a little more than I wanted to spend, but it was better than putting a ton more money and work into putting up more shelves and buying more bins for all the twins clothes. Plus, this way I can see what's in each drawer and we will be able to take the drawers with us when we move next spring.


I organized each drawer by size and what type of clothing it is and I put all Baby Boy's stuff on the left and Baby Girls's stuff on the right. I also had a couple extra drawers for random stuff such as bibs, diapers, wipes, swaddles, etc.

After I was done with the closet I moved on to Allie's clothes. The dresser and hutch is all hers now.


I got some new bins for the hutch to organize all her undies and socks and what not.


We also put up a new stuffed animal net. Best investment ever and she thinks it's the coolest thing.


The living room was the most work. We needed to make as much room as possible for Allie's toys, swings and the twins Pack n Play. I wanted to make room for some baby essentials so I didn't have to go in and out of Allie's room in the middle of the night. I wanted everything to be in one central location so it is easy for everyone to find.

I found this really nice cube organizer from Walmart for $130. It has the space to put 16 bins if I wanted. I decided to go with 8 for now since the bins were almost $6 a piece, I wanted to have open spots for Allie's books and puzzles too, so it worked out amazingly.


As you can see, I used the right shelf mainly for Allie's toys with the exception of one bin for the twins toys.


And I used the left shelf for baby stuff and some of Loren and I's things.


Now that I got all the organizing done I feel a huge sense of relief. I feel like we're at least a little prepared. I'm sure some things will end up changing and I'll find that certain things don't work where they're at, but that's ok. As long as we have a good start.










No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...